16 August 2008

Olyolypimics... I mean Olympics

Sometimes I feel sorry for Olympic reporters. I mean seriously - you have to come up with all this intelligent stuff as who knows what is happening with all the athletes and still make it sound interesting/exciting. I, however, love it because all sorts of funny things come out. Here are just a few of the quotes I have caught from my late night Olympic fetish:

1- Talking about mens' gymnastics: "The mens' gymnastic team can't afford a big mistake... which that wasn't."


2- Womens' cycling (in the rain): "It's important to keep hydrated, but on a day like this they probably just want a hot cup of coffee. And Bob knows just the place!" [cut to some random
Starbucks in Beijing]

3- Beach Volleyball: "He's 180 pounds of string-bean meat!" (I'm not sure I'd want to be a string bean...)

4- Trying to sound artistic: "Today the British empire extends into China."

5- Making up all sorts of interesting words: "May and Walsh are outphysicaling the Cubans."

"Everyone doubts when he goes slow in the prelims. Then he goes fast in the finals and all of a sudden... he's Aaron Piersol!" (And he wasn't before...?)



I also found some really great ones on the internet from 2004 in Athens:

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw
her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."


2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak
from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."


3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother
and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths
in boxing, but none of them really that serious."


5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we
can expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't
like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

And finally, here are probably my three favorite Olympians this year:

















3 comments:

Mandy said...

I love it! I think my favorite is the one about thanking parents, especially mom and dad. Too funny!

Nourishing Creations said...

lol. Outphysicaling? What is that!?

Kim said...

Although I haven't been watching as much the last few days, I have nonetheless found three more:

"Here are Dan Hicks."

"Hall was just trained to drink."

"The 5000[meter] isn't a social dance class."